The Community Pharmacist: Diabetes Awareness [audio]
November is Diabetes Awareness month and as you learn more and more about the disease on these pages and elsewhere, we think you’ll agree that the statistics are staggering:
- 26 million people are diagnosed with diabetes in this country;
- an estimated 7 million go undiagnosed;
- nearly 3 in 10 seniors have been diagnosed with diabetes.
We’ve come a long way in the understanding of diabetes, but as Jessica Astrup Ehret explains in Community Pharmacist Conversations, we also have a long way to go. Tune in to the first in a series of on diabetes.
For additional recorded episodes of "Community Pharmacist Conversations," please visit: http://kymnradio.net/community-pharmacist/
Key takeaways in this edition:
- Learn the key difference between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Identify some of the direct and indirect costs associated with diabetes that account for the estimated $245 billion annual pricetag.
- Understand the symptoms and the risk factors for Type 2 diabetes.
- Learn the difference between a single blood sugar test and A1C testing.